Most commercial mouthwashes contain artificial colors, flavors, fragrances, strong chemicals, and alcohol. Making your own antiseptic mouthwash with common herbs is easier than you think. The herbs in this recipe have antimicrobial properties that help kill germs naturally, reduce inflammation, and the calendula supports healthy gum tissue. This simple homemade herbal mouthwash only uses five ingredients.
This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase through these links, I make a small commission at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting Seeking Joyful Simplicity ~ Michelle
Fresh or dried herbs can be used for your homemade mouthwash.
- 1 part calendula flowers
- 1 part sage leaf
- 1 part thyme leaf
- 1 part peppermint leaves (you can substitute a few drops of peppermint essential oil)
- Enough water to cover the herbs
- tea tree essential oil
- Measure dried herbs – for my 16-ounce jar, I used a small handful of each dried herb – calendula, sage, thyme, and peppermint.
- Add herbs to the pot.
- Add enough water to cover the herbs and stir.
- Cover the pot and bring to a brisk boil (covering retains the aromatic oils).
- Turn off the heat and allow the herbs to steep for 30-minutes.
- Once cooled, strain your herbs using cheesecloth or a fine mesh strainer.
- Add a few drops of tea tree essential oil (and peppermint oil, if using)
- Store in a jar with a lid. Use within 7-10 days. (You can store for longer in the refrigerator.)
- Use two to four times daily between and after brushing.
How to Stay Sane When Your Hormones are Making You Crazy
The Ultimate Guide
All-Natural Remedies for Menopause
Includes information on tested herbal remedies, nutrition, supplements, and recipes.
Tell me where to send your guide
Last summer I had gum surgery on two places and the periodontist prescribed a medicinal mouthwash. I chose instead to use the herbal antiseptic mouthwash, adding dried yarrow and plantain to speed tissue healing. I am happy to say, my gums healed quickly and without infection.
I highly recommend this simple homemade herbal antiseptic mouthwash, either as part of your daily routine, or when needed.